Friday, June 11, 2010

Watch your back, Mr. Greenjeans.

This is a glimpse of my garden. Soon these big globs of lettuce will provide the beginnings of a lovely, tasty salad, all from my back yard.

My name is Mary. And I like to garden. So I get asked how my garden's growing a lot this time of year.

As you can see, I have no cockle shells or pretty maids all in a row. But I do have three kinds of tomatoes, two kinds of lettuce, cucumbers, zucchini, white acorn squash, pumpkins and a few other edibles.

Each year, I plant my seeds with every intention of remembering what I planted where. And this year was no different. I tried jamming the packets and labels on sticks near where I'd planted each type of seed.

It didn't last too long, and about halfway through planting my seeds, I was becoming more accepting of fewer straight rows and more general areas.

Weeds are profuse, but when I was poking around in the garden today, I couldn't really tell if some plants are weeds or potential tasty salad fixins.

Some weeds are obvious, and I've been plucking them.

Other plants are on the fence, so to speak, and I'm leaving them alone.

This gardening stuff is fun, and so very easy. It's amazing how fast a garden grows, especially when it's routinely watered.

Come over in a month or so and have a salad. I didn't buy any crouton seeds, so we'll have to pick those up at the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment