Monday, August 2, 2010

Let me entertain you.

Just look at this face.

This face, this very poster, was in my locker in high school. And every time I looked at the poster, I imagined Donny had written the "you're someone special! love you! Donny" to me and me alone.

The first concert I ever attended was a Donny and Marie show when I was a dozen or so years old. Donny didn't disappoint. I distinctly remember him strutting about the stage in his trademark purple cape. He was, after all, the Great Osmondo. And any Donny lover knows purple is his favorite color. Hello.

Times changed.

By the time I was a junior in high school, I was deeply enmeshed in the concert scene.

I can say without hesitation that I've seen almost every band you hear on your favorite Classic Rock station live, at least once. Heart, Jackson Brown, Bonnie Raitt, Robert Palmer, U2, Pat Benetar, Kansas, Boston, Devo, David Bowie, The Stranglers, Joe Jackson, Billy Joel, pre-Hagar Van Halen, so many more.

And then there was Rush.

The thinking person's band.

I saw them multiple times in concert, and each time was highly memorable.

As the photo indicates, the members of Rush, like I, have aged. Although it's indisputable that their music is timeless. There's no substitute when it comes to the vocal stylings of Geddy Lee.

I didn't come from a wealthy family, and as I recall, concert tickets were somewhere around $10 or $15. Sometimes, like the SunDays in Boulder each summer in the late '70s, multiple bands were featured. All for one very affordable price.

Fast-forward to Sunday afternoon.

Mr. Fabulous, Logan and I wanted to see a movie. And I was in dire need of a comedy.

So we decided on Dinner for Schmucks.

I have a Paul Rudd thing.

And I needed some laughter.

So here's the bottom line. Three tickets to the movie cost $30. We snagged some "deal" at the concession stand, and got a large popcorn and two large beverages for 21.50.

I hate to be a spoiler, but last time I checked, popcorn is among the cheapest crap foods ever to manifest itself on the planet, as is the carbonated beverage which, if I were to order at almost any restaurant, would be bottomless and very affordable.

The movie was good. But did it live up to what I've experienced?

I hate to live in the past, but it seems to me that those concerts, rife with raw, limitless possibility and untapped talent, were a total bargain.

Let's review.

One concert, possibly many bands, 30 years ago. Ten to twenty bucks tops.

Three people go to a movie that will be Netflixable a few months from now, we get popcorn and two beverages, and we spent well over $50. No dinner, no Paul Rudd In The Round performing just for me.

Is this crazy to no one but me?

Trust me. I actively avoid living in the past.

But there are moments when those Halcyon days that I experienced in the '70s and early '80s are such a pretty dream.

Especially when it comes to my long-term memory. And my disposable income.

1 comment:

  1. I went to a movie on Friday (Salt) and I was about to see Dinner for Shmucks, but I thought it may be disappointing. I expect a lot for my 10 bucks (plus popcorn) and I knew it would be exactly as you described.

    ReplyDelete