Friday, January 20, 2012

A post modernist's dream, for under $10!

My sites are pointed in a new bloggy direction, but I have to share what I found yesterday!

I was in Greeley to visit my son, and of course I had to visit the ARC. I went before I saw Connor, and I saw this chair. I mulled it over, but didn't buy it. I certainly don't need another chair.

But on my way out of town, I couldn't help myself. I stopped by the ARC again, and there it was. God-awful upholstery, but I loved the design. So I coughed up the 8.99 and bought it.

When I got home, I tore off the fabric, which was most likely in fashion somewhere in the '70s. I was looking for a label or sign that might give me a clue as to who made this unique piece.

There's a label that indicates this chair once was the property of Colorado National Bank. I imagined a man the likes of Darren Stevens sitting on the chair, wondering if his loan had been approved.

And there's a date, hand-written underneath. 8-22-69.

Then I did a bit of googling. I started with a 'mid century chair' search, which led me to several other places, which ultimately led me to the work of Hans Wegner. The chair is aptly called The Chair in Wegner circles.

I 'm not 100% sure of its authenticity, but if it's a Wegner, it's worth a whole heck of a lot more than 8.99.

Score!

I'm going fabric hunting today.

So now it's back to the other blog, until which time I trip across something else I just have to share! Please join me at my other site, and stay tuned! I never know what I might find next!

http://straighttalkmary.blogspot.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment