Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Looking for something familiar.

Some days are all smiles.

Some just aren't.

When things aren't going well with the Right Now, when what should be connected is disconnected, where do you go?

I was just looking for the familiar. I was looking for some connection.

So I checked in on my kids' Facebook pages. Neither one of my kids is here right this minute, but I wanted a moment of connection.

Maybe 483 million people and I aren't quite so alone. That's how many people reference their Facebook page every day, according to the Baltimore Sun.

And Facebook is doing the IPO thing in May. Billions will be raised, purely on our need to look for something familiar, right this minute.

Again, I must interject that I remember vividly what is was like to merely have a phone on a wall connected to a cord when it came to connection.

Now, thanks to someone young enough to be my kid, I can find something familiar in the blink of an eye.

It's oddly comforting.

So when May comes around, maybe I'll dip my feet in the well. Maybe I'll invest in what's brought me closer to the familiar tonight, in its odd, makeshift, disconnected, cassette-tape kind of way.

Because when interesting times require creative, disconnected measures, there's always Facebook, especially when you're looking for the familiar.

And tonight, Mr. Zuckerberg, you're worth every penny.

No comments:

Post a Comment