Monday, February 22, 2010

Spare time

I can't find any light bulbs, and I know there are at least two dead soldiers around the house that are darkening our evening. I bought a crap-ton of bulbs last year - those energy-saving kinds. You'd think they'd be conspicuous by their sheer volume, but I can't find them anywhere.

I need to figure out why I have yet to receive my renewed car registration. The grace period on my tags is wrapping up - and I mailed my money in weeks ago. I don't remember they're almost completely expired until I see a cop when I'm driving.

Piles have built up around the house, and I'd like to introduce the concept of flat surfaces into my world.

It's trash day tomorrow. And I should bring the trash to the curb tonight.

I'd like to spend some quality time with my kids this evening.

But what I really want to sink some time into tonight is this:

It's therapy. Slathering broken jewelry onto my bowling pin is my version of how my mom spent her spare time in the 1970s. She invested lots of time and energy into macrame, candle making and smoking Salems. I think she did those things partially to get away from her responsibilities.

To be honest, she didn't have very many responsibilities. She didn't have a job, she was married, her kids (me, for one) were fairly self-sufficient.

But who am I to keep score?

Maybe she just wanted an escape.

My bowling pin lady is my escape. I plug in the hot glue gun, set the ipod to shuffle my favorite music, strap on the headphones and get busy. I like the diversion, and I've come to the conclusion that the bowling pin project holds the same personal cache as gambling, thrifting or fishing (see previous post for all the details). The crafty craft of the pin is a beautiful, sparkly diversion.

 I already have some ideas for my next bowling pin lady swimming around in my head.

So tonight I'll forget my responsibilities for a few minutes and get going on the pin.

I mention my mom primarily because I miss her, and I wish she were here so I could ask her how she spent her spare time.

As for me, I'll think about my To Do list later.

Maybe tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment