Saturday, February 13, 2010

Striking it rich.

So I bought this bowling pin in Portland, at The Bins, for three bucks. I used to make stuff out of broken jewelry, so I thought, what the heck? I'll slather this bowling pin with broken stuff.

She's not even close to being finished - I completely intend to cover the entire body, and maybe the face, too.

Like anyone who's not afraid to show the world exactly who she is, my bowling pin lady has been met with mixed reaction.

One friend of mine wanted me to make her one. Someone else said I could sell bowling pin ladies like the one I'm making for big bucks. Another person wondered what her function was - perhaps a doorstop?

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. But I love this bowling pin lady. I recently added her heart-shaped mouth, which gave her a bit more personality. I have yet to give her a name.

Everything about her was trash to someone before it got to me. The broken jewelry, the bowling pin, everything.

And, like so many things in life, there's beauty to be found - or created - in the most unlikely places, from the most unlikely things.

Like my bowling pin lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment