Monday, February 8, 2010

Walter, the elf of all seasons.


I found Walter just before Christmas at the Goodwill on Broadway, for 9.99. Like many new relationships, I didn't need Walter, but I had to have him.

He looked so lonely and out of place, standing there at the Goodwill among other tallish things that had no other place to go, and I do think it was love at first sight.

Walter was a prominent holiday fixture in my living room, and I wasn't the only one who thought he was endearing, whimsical and adorable. Several of my holiday guests loved Walter too, and he had many offers to go home with other people.

But I was committed. So committed that, once the excitement of the holidays was over and we transitioned back into our routines, I couldn't quit him. I couldn't relegate Walter to the dreary recesses of my basement.  He'd become too important.

So when the tree was dismantled and the other holiday decorations were stashed away, Walter stayed. I hope you agree - he's just too endearing to ignore, what with the pointy leaf-shaped green feet, generously sized wings and mossy hair. What's not to love?

He's always smiling, always agrees with me, and welcomes me home with open arms.

Magical Walter.

He was only 9.99, but in my heart, he's priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment