Monday, January 17, 2011

Free Time: Widening the circles

I live my life in widening circles 
that reach out across the world.
I may not complete this last one
but I give myself to it.
 - Rilke

It's interesting, how everything seems to happen the way it should.

Kind of like this Free Time project.

I know myself well enough to know that I'm not a good joiner. If I have a task that's self-directed, it gets done. But sign me up for a class, for instance. Expect perfect attendance, and I can almost guarantee it won't happen.

I've been way too busy lately. Too much in the noggin. So for a while, I thought I'd take the lead of a friend of mine and sign up for a meditation class. I need to relax.

I have just a dusting of self-knowledge, and I knew the minute that idea popped into my head I'd just wind up wasting money, feeling guilty for my tardies and absences.

But then I remembered that I have this delicious piece of technology in the palm of my hand.

I listen to a ton of podcasts. I recently added a particular podcast that was so appropriate for today, for my personal lately, for how my world seems to be widening.

The podcast was just a sidebar to the interesting events of this day. I worked from 8 am to 4 pm at my real job, but I did get a chance to chat with Chantrice and Michelle.

Michelle was checking in, just to make sure all of the wheels were still in motion for Friday.

Chantrice let me know that she's nailed down the details on her apartment.

I was kind of worried after talking with Chantrice yesterday. I was concerned that maybe she was reconsidering things. I became connected to these people a handful of days ago, and my offer combined with Michelle's generosity and Chantrice's hard work has to be a bit overwhelming, for all of us.

I asked her about that today. How she was feeling.

She said that she threw a disheartened vibe yesterday because she'd talked with someone in her circle. The word has been spread that Chantrice is heading for some brighter days. A job. A place to live. And they wanted a piece, as if the small slice she's creating translates into a lottery ticket onto which they've laid stake.

But she was better today. And it's Game On this Friday.

Whew. What a calming sigh of relief, for all of us.

Also today, while I was working, I sent an email to my coworkers, cluing them into what I've been up to lately.

Within moments, I'd received emails indicating that several folks are completely on-board. One of my complete favorites, Corki, purchased some items especially for Myasia. Because it's her birthday on Wednesday.

And let's be honest. You don't turn 1 every day.

The circle continues to widen, almost effortlessly.

Let's review. I just wanted to see if I could accumulate a house-full of cool stuff for free on craigslist. I had no clue that this oddly shaped grain of an idea would manifest into such a beautiful garden.

Like most days, today's events became clear in hindsight, tonight, while I was cleaning up the kitchen, catching up on my podcast. The theme of the podcast was secular. But I hope the message matches the secondary intention of this Free Time project.

The podcast was all about benevolence toward all beings, without discrimination, free of selfish attachment. A strong, sincere wish for happiness, all around.

Another quote from tonight's podcast, which I listened to while shuffling through the events of the day - 

Relationships are the mutual polishing of diamonds in the rough.

I know that to some, this entry simply adds to my stereotype. But it's been good for me, to see how so much can come from so little.

It's nice to see the circles becoming wider.



2 comments:

  1. Mary, if this is you from TCH/MEDCOM, it was a shock to see you on the TV the other night. If this is not you, please disregard. This is the crazy night lady Lynn. I hope you are well. I am on Facebook under Smith Smulders. Again if this is not the same Mary I apologize!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, it's me!! I'm on facebook too! Let's connect!

    ReplyDelete