Monday, June 20, 2011

Cents and Sensibility, Day 20. Everybody eats when they come to my house.

I had a very low-key approach to tonight's Peasants Feast. I didn't know who was coming, and I questioned our collective capacity to create a cogent meal with the somewhat odd theme of the week.

The theme was a song. Everybody Eats When They Come to My House, by Cab Calloway.

Here's the link. It's a jaunty, tasty number. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIy6pXmQtkc.

Everyone was requested to bring something that was mentioned in the song. Logan made latkes.

Around 5 pm, I wondered if people would bring items that would make our evening true to the title of the song. I felt I needed to supplement the delicious latkes, so I made a salad out of lettuce, spinach and arugula from the garden. I added tomatoes, just in case.

I wanted to make sure that everybody could eat when they come to my house.

Despite the threat of rain, we had quite a succulent turnout. And people were so creatively scatological with what they brought. Connor and Jenny brought bologna. There was banana and strawberry salad. There was cacciatore and rice that was way past fantastic. Bagels. Pancakes. Tomatoes. Cherries. Watermelon and kiwi beverage of some sort. Fruit pie. Brownies. So much more. It makes the head spin, the creativity.

The kids spent time around the dining room table, acting like grown-ups. The grown-ups spent time outside on the back porch, talking smart and acting like kids.

So many interesting conversations tonight.

And the laughter. So much of that.

I love this odd amalgam of randomness we've generated with the Feasts.

Unpredictable.

We all seem to leave these nights completely, contentedly full.

No comments:

Post a Comment